Thursday, September 20, 2012

First day with XCode 4.5

Upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 and quite happy to see the "Personal Hotspot sharing through USB not working" issue fixed.

However, after I downloaded Xcode 4.5 and tried to compile my 2 games, both failed... Still working on resolving the issues at the moment.

First it automatically asked to add this new launch image called "Default-568h@2x.png" - which is a really strange name. And it's an empty, black 640 x 1136 image.


Then there's lots of warnings about Cocos2D 1.0 library - as it still compiles, I just ignore it for now.

When runs in simulator, for "Where is it Smart Kids Edition" which is landscape, it shows 2 ugly black bars on both side.

While for "Mespfi", which is portrait, the ugly bars are now on the top and bottom...

I wasn't too worry about that as this just means some image adjustment plus UI changes.

However when I tried to run both apps on the physical device, both failed with similar error as below, one for Nextpeer and one for Buzzdoes.


ld: file is universal (3 slices) but does not contain a(n) armv7s slice: /Users/xxxxxxxxxxx/Buzz.a for architecture armv7s
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

ld: file is universal (3 slices) but does not contain a(n) armv7s slice: /Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Nextpeer.framework/Nextpeer for architecture armv7s
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)



Thanks to Daniel/Nextpeer, looks like it's because Xcode 4.5 no longer supports the older arm v6 architecture on my old 3GS. I might have to maintain 2 versions of code - one for arm v6 and one for arm v7. But then when I searched through my MacBook Pro, found that the previous version Xcode 4.3.3 no longer existed and can only find Xcode 4.2!  Xcode 4.5 must have overwritten 4.3.3, what the....

Still wondering whether should I get a new iPhone 5, or just get the latest iPod and save the money for an Android phone. As I am a bit unhappy about the way Apple ignoring older devices and upgrading so frequently/quickly, felt a bit unsecured to invest all the effort and get locked into one single platform which changes so quickly... Oops, this reminds me about the Unity thing which I haven't touch for a week or now... I wish I can have more time doing all these development work.

[Update 24/Sep/2012]
Issue with "armv7s" error fixed by changing it to "armv7" and it runs on my iPhone 3GS without problem. For further details, please see this post. Thanks.



0 comments:

Post a Comment