Thursday, April 5, 2012

Patch your Mac ASAP!

There's this news about 600K+ Mac been infected with "Flashback trojan" (some reports: here, here and here), make sure you patch your Mac ASAP following this instruction from Apple!

According to the instruction, it's "Java 1.6.0_29" that's having lots of problems and should upgrade to "1.6.0_31". And to check what version of Java runtime you have installed in your Mac, you have to run "java -version".

I tried it on my MacBook and this is what I got:

MacBook-Pro:$ java -version
No Java runtime present, requesting install.
MacBook-Pro:$

Ha ha, I didn't even have it installed...So looks like my Mac is safe from this specific trojan?

[Update]
Just learned that it's because my MacBook comes with Lion and Lion doesn't install Java by default. But I found Safari still have "Enable Java" ticked by default, and have to go to "Preference -> Security" to disable it. But if you are running Snow Leopard that would be a different story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment