Friday, October 26, 2012

Lesson learned about reducing PNG file size

Did my first submission attempt the other day after putting some new images and fixes for the iOS6 + new iPhone 5 screen size fix. But received this email saying the binary size exceeds the download limit email as below.

Definitely don't want my users to have this trouble, so I started looking around for ways to shrink/reduce some of the huge background image file size.

At first found a site (ca't find it any more?) which offers free service, just need to upload the image and it will shrink it for you. Tried a few and seems quite good, so I happily processed all the huge .PNG files. But when I tried to build the app, as below it failed with all these "CopyPNGFile" error, WTF??!!

Further research shows that site probably didn't shrink but rather convert it to ".JPG" file format but still keep the same ".PNG" file name??!!

That was very disappointing as it wasted my time!

Later found this site talking about using PhotoShop to "Posterize" the images. This time was a bit more careful, only did a few, confirmed it won't cause any of those "CopyPNGFile" error, then continue with the rest....

It was a pain, but at least I learned the lesson about how "NOT" to reduce your image file size!

0 comments:

Post a Comment