Friday, February 3, 2012

A few more things about Nextpeer

Spent quite some time on Nextpeer in past 2 weeks, and also created quite a few posts about it recently.

Planning to move on to other topics soon, so would like to summarise a few more things as below. Will definitely talk about it again if there's any new interesting development in this area.


Coins handling

Still not very clear about coins handling. Like to have clear flow from developer's point of view, from users' point of view. What's the selling/attracting point for each party?, why would users want to buy more coins if you can get it free by playing as guest? are they redeemable? is it fair?...etc need clear answers to all sorts of what if questions.

Nextpeer is definitely an interesting product. Although still in early stage, can see some potential in there.


The huge scrolling result list

If you ever visit Nextpeer home page, you definitely won't miss the huge scrolling result list - keep updating with the latest results every few seconds. And if you clicked on any of them, it will redirect you to the iTunes page for you to download the game, not bad!

To be honest, I always thought it isn't real. As based on my observation, Nextpeer "sometimes" use simulated players to give you the multi-player "user experience".

Until today...

I was playing around with Nextpeer using my "non-Cocos2d" game Follow me if you can. While working on it, I accidentally toggled to the Nextpeer home page and found the result displayed on it - as shown below. I didn't change the default Tournament Title, that's why it's shown like that.


Tried another tournament, purposely get 0 points. As shown below, the "simulated" 1st prize winner also added to the list, cool!


Unfortunately, my simple game still not published to App Store yet, so when I clicked on it, just get a blank page. Damn!

Ok, I was a bit too excited. Technically, the SDK pass data back to the server after the game ends any more, so there shouldn't be anything exciting about displaying result on the web page.

Again it's the "user experience" - the fact that my game can get some exposure on their home page when someone plays it sort of excited me a bit. As for how many people will be staring at that result list like me during that moment is a different issue...


Stuck with SDK for non-Cocos2D game

I found a few problems with integrating the SDK to my non-COcos2D game and got stuck. One problem is, when I started a new tournament, found that the game still shows the last screen of the previous tournament and the score wasn't reset... Must have missed something somewhere. Will wait for the updated tutorial then...


Not suitable for games with multiple sub-games?

While still waiting for more info about how to handle multiple tournaments, I think with the current design, it's probably not suitable for games which has multiple sub-games. I mean like the extreme example of this 101-in-1 Games I mentioned before. It would be really challenging to work out a solution for that kind of games.


How to co-exist with Game Center and other tools?

I was also thinking, is it suitable to have Nextpeer and Game Center (or OpenFeint and other products) integrated to the same game? Would be very helpful if Nextpeer can provide some analysis on that and provide some recommendation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment